1. ITALY | Venice, Rome, Florence, Amalfi: When it comes to romance, nothing beats Italy. And yes, the Hotel Cipriani is worth the splurge.
2. FRENCH POLYNESIA | All those photos you’ve seen of gorgeous thatched huts on stilts over insanely clear turquoise water? They were taken here.
3. MAUI | Sure, it’s touristy, but if you can swing a stay at Wailea’s fabled Four Seasons or its neighbor, the Fairmont, you’ll want to stay forever.
4. ST. LUCIA | Things to love: There’s a hotel for every budget, amazing organic eats (a Caribbean rarity), and the majestic Pitons—nice to look at, tough to climb.
5. TURKS AND CAICOS | Yoga and Pilates buffs go to the Como Shambhala spa on Parrot Cay, divers can’t get enough of Molasses Reef, and the privacy-obsessed hole up at Amanyara.
6. KAUAI | Couples sing hosannas about the St. Regis Princeville, but be sure to leave the resort bubble to see the Na Pali Coast.
7. GREECE | Partiers choose Mykonos (dinner at 10, dancing till five). Low-key romantics choose the whitewashed beauty and jaw-dropping views on Santorini.
8. FIJI | Chances are none of your tech toys will work at the private resorts here—and after a day or two, you’ll be glad.
9. MEXICO | Its hard to beat the cobblestoned charm of colonial San Miguel de Allende, but honeymooners also rave about the ruins and affordable hotels in Tulum.
10. BALI | Even the hordes of Elizabeth Gilbert groupies haven’t spoiled the spiritual magic of this Indonesian isle. Or its beaches.
11. FRANCE | Paris for love. St. Tropez for fun. Provence for food. Then, of course, there are our three favorite colors: rose, champagne, and burgundy.
12. COSTA RICA | Eco-tourism is big here. (If you’re ever going to zip-line, this is the place.) But if you’re not into staying somewhere crunchy, check out a luxurious jungle lodge like Lapa Rios.
13. THE BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS | Have beers with salty sailors at a dive bar like Foxy’s, but stay at Little Dix Bay if you want to be pampered.
14. THAILAND | Take two weeks: See the reclining Buddha in Bangkok, rice paddies in Chiang Mai, and limestone islands off Phuket.
15. JAMAICA | For exclusivity, nothing beats GoldenEye, where Ian Fleming wrote his James Bond novels, or Port Antonio, a seaside town away from the megaresort madness.
16. ANGUILLA | A decade ago, celebrities came here to tan in hiding. The secret’s out (thank Brad and Jen), but the beaches are still surprisingly uncrowded.
17. BERMUDA | Knock back dark ‘n’ stormies, dress for high tea, and laze on pink-sand stretches at this prepster haven.
18. THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS | Fly into St. Thomas and stay overnight at the Ritz-Carlton, then ferry to St. John, a protected-park wonderland. Also, don’t miss St. Croix’s beaches.
19. AUSTRALIA | Oprah goes everywhere, and even she flipped out while helicoptering over the Great Barrier Reef. Tasmania’s otherworldly landscape ties it for beauty.
20. ANTIGUA | The all-inclusive Jumby Bay is honeymoon paradise—you’ll never take your wallet out. And there are 365 beaches on the island. Really.
Pin It Tweet