Before going shopping for your wedding gown, it is important to understand what you are looking for:
- Look in books, magazines, through Facebook- at others dresses, and on Pinterest.
- Having photos of things you are looking for in a dress can aid the bridal shops you visit to pull out options that fit your wants.
- What fabric do you like?
- Chiffon, velvet, lace, satin, taffeta, organza, tulle
- What style do you want?
- Formal or casual
- Extravagant beading or simple
- What type of dress will fit your body type:
- A-line, princess, mermaid, ball gown, column, empire, sheath
- Sometimes you may have to try on the styles to know what looks best
- What will be the temperature of your wedding day?
- What color do you want your gown?
- Traditionally this will be white or ivory?
- Some brides choose to wear a colored sash to match their wedding colors
Other things for you to consider:
- Make a budget for gown
- Try to purchase your dress 2-3 months before your wedding day so that you have plenty of time for any necessary alterations
- Make sure you do a final fitting with all accessories before your wedding day.
- If you are doing Bridal Photos, make sure you dress will be complete 1-3 weeks prior to your big day. It may be necessary for you to get your dress cleaned after your bridals are taken.
- What type of headpiece are you looking for:
- Veil, hat, flowers, combs, pearl or crystal hair pins, tiara's
- Jewelry that will match the style of your wedding gown
- Shoes- make sure you have purchased these before your first gown fitting
- Your dress length will have to include your height with your shoes on.
- New Bra- Just like your shoes, make sure the bra you wear to your fittings will be the same one as the big day
Check out our next post- The Pins of the Week will all be Wedding Dresses!